My Favorite Time of Year.... And all The Food.....
The Thanksgiving-Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year. I actually do like the drop in temperature. Why?? because it makes you feel warm and cozy, and all the things that have to do with Thanksgiving and Christmas are warm and cozy to me!
I love all the food and drinks, cuddling up next to someone I love a.k.a. my husband or my kids if they’re home and watching movies that are familiar to us.
We also have lots of foods that are familiar to us. Thanksgiving is the time of tradition for my family. We don't have too many new recipes, but over the years I’ve added in more vegetables, especially the years I was vegan and vegetarian, and not eating meat. I found this recipe for stuffed acorn squash several years ago and used it when I was vegan. It allowed me to feel like I was part of the Thanksgiving meal. You could also serve it as a side dish to your guest instead of having your dressing in a pan..
Here are a few health benefits of Acorn Squash:
Boosted immune system
Strengthening of bones
Regulated Blood Pressure
Just to name a few.
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Prepared pan of Cornbread, I used a more savory version
Herb Dressing Cubes
1/2 Onion chopped
3 Stalks of Celery chopped
3 TBLS Butter ( you can use Vegan Butter)
Chicken or Vegetable Broth
Poultry Seasoning (contains no chicken)
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Rinse The acorn squash and dry. Cut in half and scoop out all of the seed and membranes.
3. Place a sheet of parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet on a baking pan place acorn squash and a push back open end up onto the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake at 400°F for 30 to 45 minutes or till a fork pierces easily.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a peel in Saute chopped onion and celery.
5. In a bowl combine 1/4 of the prepared corn bread and one cup of herb dressing cubes. Add this sauté celery and onions.
6. Stir to combine season with salt pepper poultry seasoning and sage to taste. Adding chicken or vegetable broth till of a consistency where it rolls off the spoon. Stir in 1/2 cup of dried cranberries if desired.
7. Fill prepared information squash with dressing. Top with 1/4 tsp of Butter. Bake 30 min. Or till top is brown and dressing is bubbly.